Saturday, December 29, 2007

Elaine Brown Withdraws as Green Party Presidential Candidate

[Very unfortunate news from the Brown campaign]

ELAINE BROWN WITHDRAWS FROM GREEN PARTY PRESIDENTIAL RACE

Renounces Green Party Membership
_____________________________

For Immediate Release

Brunswick, Georgia,
December 28, 2007

OPEN STATEMENT TO THE GREEN PARTY

As of today, I am no longer a candidate for the Green Party nomination for president of the United States, and I hereby resign from all affiliation with the Green Party. I believe the leadership of the Green Party of the United States has been seized by neo-liberal men who entrench the Party in internecine antagonisms so as to compromise its stated principles and frustrate its electoral and other goals. They have made it impossible to advance any truly progressive ideals or objectives under the umbrella of the Green Party, and, thus, rendered it counterproductive for me to go forward as a Green Party candidate or member.

continued here.

1 comment:

Gregg Jocoy said...

Hey Lou. Haven't taken the time to post about this either at Green Commons of at my blog, but I agree with you that this is not good news for us.

I am backing Cynthia McKinney, but wanted Brown in the race precisely because our local party is way too white, and having her and McKinney in the running gave me two shots at growing our base in the Black community. I don't include Jared Ball in the same category only because he doesn't have the following McKinney or Brown does, but would also love to use his campaign to help us grow here.

In short, Presidential Campaigns serve to help me grow my local chapter in my mind. Elaine Brown, had she come to town, would have given us a second drink at the well.